Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Life Lessons from Biblical Wives: Eve

As you read these devotions, please keep in mind that I am not a perfect wife or mother.  I am learning about my role as a wife and mother on a daily basis.  Some of the lessons I am going through are things that I have already learned and some I am learning on a daily basis.  I am sharing with you the lessons that God is teaching me through my devotion/quiet time.  I will be on the journey of learning how to best do my job as a wife and mother for the rest of my life, but I invite you to join me on this journey.

Today, we are going to look at Eve.  I saw this marital relationship in two phases, but for the sake of time, we will only be looking at a piece of the first phase today.

Perfection.  That is how I would describe this marriage at its conception.  God created two perfect beings and put them together in the most perfect setting to begin what could have been a perfect marriage had sin not gotten in the way. 

Then the Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him." Genesis 2: 18

There are two main words here that jumped out at me- helper and suitable.  In our modern culture these are two very offensive words.  However, by abandoning their purposes, meanings, or the reason God used them when He created us has done nothing but hurt marriages across the globe and has caused so much confusion in gender roles that many do not know who they are or what role they are to play in a marriage.

According to dictionary.com a helper is 1. a person or thing that helps or gives assistance, support, etc.
2.an extra locomotive attached to a train at the front, middle, or rear, esp. to provide extra power for climbing a steep grade. The first definition seemed obvious, but the second definition really made me think of my role as Brian's wife.  I am attached to Brian to provide extra power for climbing the steep grades- the tough times, the times of challenge in his own life, the times when he needs to reach further to achieve his goals.  I am to give Brian assistance, and support to reach the dreams and goals that God has put in his heart. We always hear the phrase, "Behind every great man is a great woman."  If you think about it in these terms, it makes sense.  We are the extra locomotive behind our man pushing him up that steep hill that God designed for him not to be able to reach the top of without our help.  Being a helper is a great responsibility, not a burden. 

It reminds me of a story that my mom used to read to me and that I now read to Addie.  It is called The Little Red Caboose.  Everyone wave to the big engine and all of the other train cars as they would pass, but by the time the little red caboose came by, people had already gone back about their business.  No one viewed the caboose as being important since he was always at the back of the train.  One day, the train had to climb a steep mountain.  As it got closer to the top, it realized that it was not going to be able to make it and started sliding back down the mountain.  The little caboose didn't want the train to loose any ground, so he set his brakes and kept the train from sliding until help was able to arrive.  After that, everyone waited for the caboose to pass because they now understood how valuable he was to the train.

As wives and help meets, we are the same way. Our jobs are looked down on many times because we are not out there conquering the business world, building empires, or competing in the markets.  However, what society thinks of us and our chosen profession does not matter.  God is pleased with us and our husbands appreciate what we do with our time.  They know the value of our positions and their opinion is the only one that matters. 

There are people who are paid to be personal assistants.  It is their job to be a helper.  We look at people in that profession as being important and valuable to the one they work for.  We have the same job, although it does not provide us with a paycheck.  We are a personal assistant to our husband, and no one should view us any differently than they view the personal assistant to a celebrity or CEO of a company.  Our job is vital to the success of our husbands.

Today, my goal is to look for ways to be a helper to Brian.  What steep grades does he have to climb?  How can I help him reach his dreams and goals?  How can I help him in any area that he may need help in today? I'm taking off to help my husband.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails