Friday, May 2, 2014

Is Heaven for Real?

Is Heaven for Real?

Yes, Heaven is real.

Not because a book written by someone who had an "experience" or Hollywood says so.

Heaven is real because God tells us it is in the Bible.

I understand why books like these are such a huge hit. We have all lost someone dear to us which has left some type of void in our hearts.

We genuinely want to know that they are okay.

We want to know that what we have had faith in for so long is true.

So we find books written by people who have "been there" and feel they give some kind of reassurance to our aching heart that, yes, our loved one is in Heaven and is truly in a "better place."

I understand where they are coming from. I was there.

When my mother passed away, the book 90 minutes in Heaven was a huge seller. I was at a place where my world had completely turned itself over. I lost my mother, we invited my father and sister to live with us, and I gave birth to our first baby all within two weeks. I missed my mother more than words could describe. When I heard about this book, I wanted to get my hands on it because I wanted to know what heaven was like from "someone who had gone and come back".

But something funny happened as I began reading.

My heart began getting convicted.

With each word I read about his experience, some things just did not settle well- especially his description of the "pearly gates" which is described for us in Revelation 21:21.  

At the time, if someone who had never lost a parent had told me "Suzette, they can't tell you what Heaven is really like. You can't base your idea of heaven on a book," I would have ignored them and written them off as being judgmental and self-righteous. It took a gentle discomfort in my spirit to remind me that what I needed to know about Heaven, more importantly what God wanted me to know about Heaven, was already at my disposal.

In my Bible.

God did not just tell us what was in the Bible. He had people see Heaven and write about what they had seen within the parameters He set. (Revelation 21-22)


God has told us what we need to know about heaven.

1. Heaven is perfect. (Revelation 21:4)

2. Heaven is for those who have trusted in Jesus as their Savior. (Acts 16:31)

3. Heaven is full of fantastic creatures and things we could never have imagined on our own. (Revelation 4:6-7)

4. In Heaven, we will be reunited with our loved ones who have gone before us. (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17)

5. In Heaven, we will be with Jesus for all eternity. (1 Thessalonians 4:17)

I am not saying that the people who have written these books did not have an experience. Only God knows exactly what their experience was.

I am saying that before we jump to read or watch what someone just like us has to say about Heaven, let's first see how God describes His home in His Word, and then measure what others have to say against that.

God will never contradict His Word. If He has said in 1 Corinthians 2:9 "But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him," then he is not going to reveal anything new about Heaven to us outside of His Word.

I look forward to seeing Heaven one day- to walking with Jesus, seeing my mother again, getting to talk to my heroes from the Bible.

How do I know that I will?

Because Heaven is for Real.

The Bible tells me so.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails