Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Titus Study | Reverent in Behavior

"...likewise are to be reverent in their behavior..."
 
The dictionary's definition of the word reverent is "feeling, exhibiting, or characterized by reverence; deeply respectful." (Dictionary.com) Related words are godly and worshipful.
 
How are we as (older) women told to conduct ourselves according to this verse? Personally, I believe it says that we are to be an example of godly behavior. We are to behave with honor, not being silly or foolish in our words or conduct, and dress modestly with class rather than in ways that emphasize body parts or brings inappropriate thoughts to the minds of others.
 
When you are asked to think of women in either your personal life or in the spotlight of any kind that have exhibited reverent behavior, who comes to mind? I can think of many women that God has put in my path personally (my mother, sister, aunts, close friends, several cousins, pastors' wives, etc.) or who I have seen from afar (several First Ladies come to mind immediately- the Bush women and Mrs. Reagan are usually the first that I think of) who display reverent behavior in the most elegant ways that it makes me stand a little taller, slouch a little less, and refine my movements a little more.
 
Another related word to reverent was worshipful. Our reverent behavior should also show a worshipful attitude to the One who created us as women. A worshipful spirit does not complain about the body type we were given, the responsibilities we have, or the unending chores we wake up to. A worshipful spirit thanks God for his provisions each new day, the roof over our head that contains all of the people we consider to be precious, the mouths that we feed even though we find ourselves fishing things out of those same mouths, the fact that we have clothes in the hamper (funny how we say we have nothing to wear, go out and buy more clothes than we need, and then complain that we have so much laundry to do), that there was food in the refrigerator to dirty the dishes in the sink, and that we have a body (imperfect as we may think it is) to put clothes on.
 
When we decide to have a worshipful spirit instead of a critical one, we will see everything around us in a different light and our families will enjoy us more than if they feel that everything they do or say is going to elicit a complaint, criticism, or grumble.

For me this week, I am going to constantly remind myself that as an "older woman" (compared to Addie :), I need to teach my children God's Word, and that I need to conduct myself in a godly and worshipful way in thought as well as action. I hope your week is full of worship as well.

1 comment:

  1. I love the words "reverent in behavior." There are some people, although it seems like a few, that portray that sort of reverence. It's very important that we as godly women be a good testimony of the Lord's working in our lives.

    Thanks for the great post!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails