Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sticker Chart


James 1:5- But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

As I have mentioned, Addie is not one for eating anything but baby food. No Cheerios. No baby specialty cookies. No Goldfish crackers (I actually had one smashed into my carpet. I didn't realize they were hollow until a very small finger showed me otherwise). So yesterday I thought I would try a "kid approved" Campbell's soup with Goldfish shaped noodles (which I chopped up) and little meatballs (which I also chopped up).

Well, from the moment she looked at the spoon she began to cry like I was making her eat the most horrible thing ever invented. I finally got a small bit into her mouth. She cried even harder and pushed as much of it out of her mouth with her tongue as she could . This went on for about five minutes until I decided to puree the soup. This made all of the pieces microscopic in size.

We began again. She cried, this time with actual tears, and covered her eyes (if she can't see you, then you can't see her). I decided to do what I should have done from the beginning...ask God for wisdom. God brought to mind my teaching experience and how I used to motivate kids to do what needed to get done. Sticker charts! I asked my sister if she had any sticker charts around, and thankfully she did. She even had the little stickers that go in the little squares of the chart.

Faye came into the dining room, and as Addie ate a spoonful of pureed soup (it tasted better than it looked), we would cheer, and then I would make a big show about putting a sticker on her chart. About 8 stickers into the chart Addie put the association between her eating and a sticker going on the chart together. After each spoonful she began clapping along with us and looking to see if a sticker was going on the chart. We made it through lunch. and, thankfully, dinner was not an issue at all (she had the second half of the pureed food).

It always amazes me, no matter how many times I see it, that God's Word applies in absolutely every situation that we face. He is ready and willing to give us wisdom, ideas, and insight into any situation, great or small, earth shattering or just toddler sized, if we only ask Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails