Monday, October 19, 2009

A Blessed and Restful Weekend







Genesis 2:2b- ...and He rested on the seventh day from all of His work which He had done.






Our pastor is going through the 10 commandments right now, and last week's sermon was based on commandment number 4. It has made us think about really resting on Sunday, which is our Sabbath. It was so nice to just rest, no running around, just enjoying family who came over to "rest" with us- well, I don't think there was much rest for the guys who watched their beloved Bucs lose for the 6th week in a row.

The resting I got also gave me a chance to reflect about the blessings God has bestowed upon us as a family (especially since we have asked Him to pour out His blessings!). I decided that I need to keep a journal of them (and even post some of them here) so that I can look back and be reminded of what God has done for us.

Our weekend of blessing began on Wednesday (okay, so maybe I'm extending it a bit) when my friend Victoria came over to visit. She brought with her a bag of goodies for Addie including the Veggie Tales DVD Minnesota Cuke and the Search for Noah's Umbrella and a little Veggie Tales umbrella (Addie loved playing with it and knew how to hold it!). Then she pulled out of her bag the newest Veggie Tale release Saint Nicholas which I had wanted to pick up for Addie. God knows not only our needs but our wants, and He blesses us with those as well. That video also came with a cookie cutter of Bob and Larry. Victoria, thank you for allowing God to use you to bless us. I have- ahem, we have watched those DVDs quite a few times this weekend!

On Friday, Addie and I went to the mailbox to get the mail, and there was a package from GrandTiti for Addie. We opened it up and there was a beautiful, cooler weather outfit for Addie. What a blessing that was! We called GrandTiti, and Addie expressed her thanks (literally!). She has recently gotten on this talking-on-the-phone kick. She doesn't like the phone being up to her ear, but she will talk at the phone (and she laughs at her own jokes, which we still don't quite understand). As I would talk to GrandTiti, Addie would stick her face in front of mine and pull my hand down so that she could talk on the phone! Our conversation took twice as long, but I know that GrandTiti loved it!

Saturday was spent here at home. Addie and I played and read in her room in the morning while Brian was getting his hair cut and had breakfast with the Grandpas. Faye happened to walk in and found us laying and sitting on her bean bag. She grabbed her camera and started snapping. I'm so glad because those are moments that happen everyday when no one else is at home, and now we have the moments captured. The rest of the day was spent with the windows open and a beautiful autumn breeze filling the house. In the evening, we were visited by my cousin and her family for a time of football (the guys), fellowship (her and me), and fun (the twins and Addie).

Sunday, we were not able to go to church since Addie had a fever during the night (a reaction the Dr. had warned us about due to her vaccinations). We had my parents-in-law over after church for dinner (subs from Subway) to watch the game (sorry, guys!). When they walked in my mom-in-law had another blessing for us. She had picked up a beautiful Christmas dress for Addie.

I am now ready for the week ahead. God designed for us to have a day of rest in order for us to relax, rejuvenate, and regroup. In His goodness towards us, He has given us the permission to rest. I now have to get to the pile of washed dishes on my counter that need to be dried and put away. Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails