Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Simplicity- Chores Chart











I am moving this week's Simplicity post to today so that Friday's post can reflect Good Friday.

My friend Kristi and I text each other about our children, what we're cooking for dinner, prayer requests, organizational accomplishments, and things we are doing in our homes throughout the day.

One of the pictures that Kristi texted to me recently was of her daughter Julia's chore chart. With all of the things that we as women have to keep track of, it is really helpful to sometimes have a breakdown of some of the things we have to do in addition to the daily schedule and general lists that we keep. It also is a great way to teach our children about responsibility. I remember having a chores chart as a little girl. Mom used to get a special prize for us and we would have to earn so many points in order to eaarn our prize. Sometimes it would take a few weeks to earn our prize, it depended on the prize.

On Sunday, I sat down during Addie's nap time with some white scrapbook paper and my markers and got to work. I drew out lines and a grid and then wrote down all of the things that Addie needed to accomplish in her day. The order is not written in stone and does not include all of the items in her day. Just the things that are important. Before we begin one of the items on the list, we take her to the chart, point it out, and tell her that she is going to earn a sticker (Victoria, do you recognize the stickers?). Then we do what we pointed out. It does take time initially to explain the process, but she has already shown that she understands what the chart means. As she accomplishes each item, we make a huge to-do about marching to the fridge to put her sticker in its spot.

These are the items on her chart:
  • Devotions
  • Brush teeth
  • Breakfast
  • Change clothes
  • Put clothes away- she puts her own clothes in the hamper
  • Alone playtime
  • School
  • Eat lunch
  • Nap
  • Dinner
  • Bath

Addie's meals are on the chart, not so I can remember to them, but as an incentive for her to actually eat.

As she gets older "real" chores will be added to her chart. It will relieve stress from me and will help Addie learn responsibility. It takes a little bit of time to do, but it is well worth the effort.

5 comments:

  1. Suzette, not only are you one amazing, godly woman, but you astound me with your creativity and passion in teaching Addie and being a MOM. If there is a Mom of the Year award, you won it sweetheart, by a long shot! I love you. And your texts always brighten my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOw, that's great! I love the idea! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea. Is 20 months too young to start this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! That's a good idea! I was washing dishes and folding at 4 years old...I believe that I took a looong time to wash dishes because I was basically playing but they got clean too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, ladies! Angela, I don't think 20 months is too early. By just putting up the things that your little girl normally does and then putting up a sticker as soon as the "chore" is accomplished, she will get the hang of it very quickly. The older she get, the more things you can add to the chart. I am already thinking of extending Addie's chart for next week because she enjoys adding the stickes so much!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails