Saturday, April 3, 2010

Fresh Eyes and Chicken Pot Pie

Sometimes when you have been looking at a situation for too long, you don't see any other way to figure it out except the one you keep trying, even if it is not working.

That is when a fresh pair of eyes comes in handy.

On Wednesday, Faye asked if she could try something with Addie at dinner time. I agreed. Faye put Addie on her lap and proceeded to feed Addie our dinner of Creamy Chicken Pot Pie! We also cheered and Addie earned a sticker with each bite.

You see, Faye and Addie are both very social people. Faye thought that if Addie felt included in our meal, instead of just sitting in her high chair off of the table, she might join in and do what we were doing.

And she was right.

We have now enjoyed: cheese sandwiches, chicken and chickpea soup, cheese sticks, cheese slices, and she tried two cheerios (and decided that she doesn't like Cheerios). I am so excited! Thanks, Faye, for always having that fresh pair of eyes that I need.

This recipe is from a Sam's Club/Kraft cookbook that my dad brought me one day. It has two weeks worth of meals in it and they are absolutely delicious. I made a few adjustment to this meal because of what I had available.

Creamy Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients

  • 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup chicken both
  • 1 lb. cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed (about 3 cups)- I had frozen chicken quarters in the freezer. I seasoned and baked it, let it cool, and then shred it. I liked it better than when I used the precooked frozen chicken.
  • 16 oz. frozen mixed vegetables- I used 1 can of green beans and 1 can of corn. Again, I liked it better than using frozen ingredients.
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup all-purpose baking mix
Directions

Heat oven to 400*F

Cook cream cheese and broth in large saucepan on low heat until cream cheese is completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring frequently with whisk. Stir in chicken, vegetables, and garlic salt.

Spoon into 9-inch pie plate. Beat egg and milk in medium bowl with whisk until well blended; stir in baking mix just until moistened. Spoon over chicken mixture.

Place pie plate on baking sheet.

Bake 25 to 30 min. or until golden brown.

**********************************


Today is going to be a busy one. Our church is hosting an Easter egg hunt and then we are going to my Aunt Elsa's house for the annual family Easter Celebration. Two years ago, Addie was only 4 weeks old on Easter. Brian and I, being the proud parents that we were (are), walked our sleeping infant through the yard looking for the eggs. She was so tiny that she fit inside the Easter basket! I can't wait to see her looking for the eggs on her own today. How fast time flies!


5 comments:

  1. Chicken Pot Pie is one of my absolute favorite comfort foods! You know what's funny? I've never made it! For some reason I have in my mind, that it's only comforting if it comes from my mom's kitchen :-) How silly is that? Hope you have a really fun time at your family Easter celebration. Ours is tomorrow. Talk to you later! (P.S. I saw my button on your side bar!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved hearing about Addies Success and Faye's help.

    And look at how precious Addie was in that Easter basket! Soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, time really has flown by...To think Addie was so tiny she could fit into the Easter basket her first Easter...and do you remember the shoes she wore for her dedication on Easter Sunday that year? Mama had purchased them for her ahead of time, but her feet were so small that we put smaller shoes on her feet inside of the larger ones. What neat memories. Thank you for letting me be a part of these special little moments. You are such a tremendous blessing as a sister, and I love you all. The Lord truly is to be praised for all He has done for us and greater things are yet to come!
    Love,
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails