Saturday, May 15, 2010

Saturday Recipe Swap- Old Fashioned Rice Pudding

Yesterday was my clean-out-the-refrigerator-check-which-leftovers-I-can-turn-into-dinner-tonight day. One of the leftovers I had was about 2 1/2 to 3 cups of cooked white rice. I knew I wouldn't be using it as part of our dinner (believe it or not, Brian requested a frozen pizza for dinner so he could eat the leftovers for lunch while I am out today), but I also didn't want to just get rid of it. I went looking through one of my many cookbooks to see how I could use the leftover rice as something completely different from how I would usually use it. The recipe that caught my eye was this one from Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook p. 238. Quick, easy and it passed the Brian likes it test!

Don't forget to check out Kristi's blog to see what she has cooking in her kitchen.


Old-Fashioned Rice Pudding


Ingredients


  • 2 1/2 cups cooked rice
  • 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk (or scalded milk)
  • 2/3 cup brown or white sugar
  • 3 Tbsp. soft butter
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2-1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2- 1 cup raisins

Directions

  • Mix together all ingredients. Pour into lightly greased slow-cooker.
  • Cover and cook on high 2 hours, or on low 4-6 hours. Stir after first hour.
  • Serve warm or cold.

1 comment:

  1. Rice pudding is such a comfort food, isn't it? I love the idea of doing it in a crockpot - how easy! I have a recipe that I use b/c I'm lactose intolerant that uses rice milk. Maybe next time I make it, I'll try it this way! Thanks for the idea :-) Hope you're having a wonderful weekend so far. If you're free Monday night (around 10ET), we're having our first ever chat over at Windy Poplars! Would love to have you join us if you're interested in making some new friends :-) Talk to you soon, Oh! I almost forgot: I love the little changes you've been making here on your blog. Looking good! ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails