Friday, June 4, 2010

Simplicity: My Simple Pleasures

For today's simplicity post, I thought I would make a list for myself of the simple pleasures I enjoy. Some may seem insignificant, but that is what makes them a simple pleasure.
  • Having my devotions in the quietness of the morning before anyone has had a chance to stir.
  • Having Brian sneak up behind me with a just awakened Addie who pokes me in the back to "surprise" me.
  • Adding a flavored creamer to my morning coffee.
  • Walking Brian to his work van while holding Addie (who isn't wearing shoes).
  • Sitting at the dining room table having breakfast with Addie.
  • Sitting Addie on a chair outside with a toy while I hang clothes on the line in the morning. Hearing the lowing of the cows from the farm behind us is an added bonus.
  • Seeing an empty hamper for five minutes. Let's face it, Moms. It is never empty for longer than that.
  • Sitting on the floor in Addie's room with a magazine while she is playing to her heart's content.
  • Playing with Addie.
  • Calling and receiving calls from Brian throughout the day to see how his day is going.
  • Texting Kristi and Victoria throughout the day.
  • Having dinner ready for Brian when he walks in the door (or soon after).
  • Hearing new words that Addie has learned without me realizing it.
  • Playing a game of Skip-Bo in the evening with Brian (he always wins).
  • Eating string cheese.
  • Having Addie sleep for two and a half to three hours for her nap.
  • Having Addie rest on my shoulder for about ten minutes after her nap is over (yesterday, she fell back to sleep on me).
  • Greeting Brian when he comes home from work and thanking God for bringing him home safely.
  • Being able to feed Addie what we are eating for dinner.
  • A refreshing glass of water.
  • Going to Publix and having many of the workers know me and Addie.
  • Looking at my Lantana flowers.
  • Counting all of the little tomatoes growing on the plant outside Addie's room.
  • Hearing Addie say, "I wove day more" (I love you more). It makes us melt.
  • Putting Addie's toys away as a family.
  • Praying with Addie before she goes to bed as a family.
  • Walking through my parents-in-law's grass with bare feet (I would never do that in our yard!).
  • Laughing with Addie.
  • Talking to loved ones, family, and friends on the phone and in person.
  • Titi Elsie's chocolate chip cookies.
  • Being able to talk with Addie and having her understand me and me understand her.
  • Talking to Brian.
  • Laughing with Brian.
  • Dreaming of the future with Brian.
When I began the list, I didn't realize how many things I had. In fact, I had to stop because my list was getting too long for the post. One thing I noticed when going back over the list, is that very few of these revolve around "stuff" of any kind. Many of them revolve around my family or things outdoors. I am so thankful for all of the simple pleasures that God has allowed me to see and recognize in my life. God has truly blessed us as a family.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful reminder to spend time thinking about what makes us truly happy! Have you ever read my Bursary of Bliss page? If not, it's about the same things. You can find an oval button for it on the right sidebar of my blog. You could post a link there to your post here -it's just about the same idea! Happy Friday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the simpleness of our daily blessings :) Great post Suzie! P.S. the time out picture on my post today cracked me and Liz up, Brody wouldn't share and kept spitting juice on the girls so he got a time out, and a few seconds later the two girls joined him...they couldn't stand to leave him all alone :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails