Saturday, July 31, 2010

Saturday Recipe Swap: Creamy Chicken Pot Pie

Yesterday, I mentioned that Dad came over for dinner on Wednesday.  That is one of the ways our week flows around here.  Every Wednesday evening, we can look forward to a visit from "Papa".  Addie loves to help him undo the straps to his Velcro tennis shoes.  Sometimes she pulls him into her room and says "Down" so he can play with her.  Sometimes if her "moo-die" is on so I can finish getting dinner ready and on the table, she will pull him into the living room so he can enjoy her "moo-die" too.

As a teenager, my job was to clean up the kitchen after each meal.  When we lived in New Jersey, we did not have a dishwasher...I take that back. I was the dishwasher.  Needless to say, I began hating greatly disliking being in the kitchen.  Dad used to tease me by saying that when I got married, I would serve dinner on paper plates and cook TV dinners. However, once I got married, the idea of cooking for my husband really hit home for me and I began to love cooking!  What is slightly ironic about Dad coming for dinner now is that he gets a good home-cooked meal from me each week served on real dishes! 

Today's recipe is what I served this past Wednesday for Brian, Dad, and Addie.  It is Creamy Chicken Pot Pie from a free pamphlet cook book that Sam's Club and Kraft collaborated on last year.  I have gotten some great recipes from this little book.  Although they name specific brands to use for the different ingredients, I always find the generic brand or what is on sale and it turns out just as good.

Creamy Chicken Pot Pie

What You Need

1 pkg. (8 oz.)  Philadelphia Cream Cheese, cubed
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 lb. cooked Tyson boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed (about 3 cups)
16 oz. frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose baking mix

Make It

Heat oven to 400* F.

Cook cream cheese and broth in large saucepan on low heat until cream cheese is completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring frequently with whisk. Stir in chicken, vegetables, and garlic salt.

Spoon into 9-inch pie plate. Beat egg and milk in medium bowl with whisk until well blended; stir in baking mix just until moistened. Spoon over chicken mixture. 

Place pie plate on baking sheet.

Bake 25 to 30 min. or until golden brown.

Don't forget to go over to Kristi's blog to check out her recipe for today.  Also, be sure to let her know how you like her new look!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails