Friday, September 10, 2010

Simplicity: Eliminating the Unnecessary from Your Day

We live in a very fast paced world, and it is so easy to get caught up in everything around us.  From our family, church commitments, job (whether you work in or out of your home), hobbies, social networks, and I am sure you can come up with more, we are pulled in every direction all day until we fall into bed at night feeling like a piece of saltwater taffy.

So how can we maintain a simple mentality while living in such a complicated world?

Be choosy about what you involve yourself in.

I love hobbies, but rather than be a jack-of-all-trades, I have decided to become a master of a few.  Cross-stitching, sewing, knitting, and making bows were al things I did at one time or another.  However, my true loves are scrapbooking and crocheting, so I have chosen to stay with only those two hobbies. 

With these two hobbies, I have also chosen to simplify in some ways.  With scrapbooking, I am becoming more particular about which pictures I scrapbook and which memories are just fine remaining on the blog.  I am also eriously thinking about using Project Life next year as a way to "scrapbook" the smaller events and relieve myself of the pressure of making a hugs memory of every picture. 

As for crocheting, I am going to make myself stick with smaller projects that can be completed in a few days. 

Social networks are wonderful for keeping in touch with others, but when they take up so much of your time just looking through statuses, something has to be done.  I have had to pick through my "friends" list.  Who is truly my friend- someone I see, speak to , and hear from on a regular basis?  Who are my blog readers? Definitely want to stay in touch with you all!  Who does not post things that I would never expose myself to otherwise?  Who are my family members?  By sifting through the friend list, I saved myself quite a bit of computer time and exposure to unwanted thoughts.

Sticking with the schedule also helps in eliminating the unnecessary.  Because I know where the bones of my schedule are and what my personal priorities are, it helps me to decide if I can fit one more thing in or if I have to say no.  If something does not fit, it doesn't fit!  Knowing my boundaries and limitations helps in keeping me from getting over committed.

Evaluate what you are involved in, what your personal priorities are, and how everything fits into your schedule.  Are there things that can be eliminated?  If so, find a way to work your way out of the unnecessary and into simplicity.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! It's funny but I have started doing the same thing with facebook!!! I have always been the type of person who has a few friends but I try to stay close with them! I want to leave a great legacy of good memories! Thank you for the post and keep it up! Love you, Suzette!!!!

    Kathy McCain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas Suzette! I cleared some people off my news feed so that I could read the people I truly LOVE! Like you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails