Saturday, November 6, 2010

Saturday Recipe Swap: Corned Beef and White Rice

My mother was an amazing cook.  She would look in her fridge, see what she had, and make an incredible meal with no recipe.  Many of what we called her "inventions" were never written down unfortunately, so we will never have some of those meals ever again. 

One of her meals was a corned beef "sauce" that she would make to put on white rice.  It was one of Dad's favorite meals.  As I was going through my recipe box, I came across the recipe for her corned beef.  I was beside myself! 

So for dinner this week (on Dad's night), we had Mom's Corned Beef and Rice.

Ingredients

1 can of corned beef
3 potatoes or frozen French Fries
1- 6 oz can tomato sauce
2 large tablespoons of Sofrito (can be bought in the Latin/Hispanic section of the grocery store)
1 packet Sazon con achote (also in the Latin/Hispanic section- sold as a box with multiple packets)
2 tomato sauce cans of water (12 oz.)
6 or more olives

Directions (get ready, these are super simple!)

In a large saucepan, crumble corn beef.

Add all remaining ingredients.

Cook for 25 minutes (medium heat) or until done. Done means the water and sauce have dried a bit.

Serve on white rice.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to try this on Friday of next week!!! I love new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a priceless treasure!!!! I will have to try this recipe since sometimes I feel like we have the same meals sometimes!!! Thanks, Suzette! You are great!

    Kathy McCain

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails