Friday, April 22, 2011

An Easy Prep for Breakfast

I have been trying to keep my "diet" in the mostly fruits, vegetables, and protein departments with my starchy foods being limited to two servings a day and preferably in the evening or main meal of the day.  However, with a very energetic three year old who can eat anything and as much as her little heart desires and wears her weight beautifully, I have to make sure that her starchy foods are in every meal she eats. 

One of her favorite foods to eat is pancakes (was my favorite as a little girl, too!).  So what do I do, because it is impossible to make just one pancake when making the mix?  I make two batches of pancakes.  Addie eats the one that she wants, and the rest go into a plastic food storage container and are put into the freezer after they have cooled down a bit.

Anytime after they have been made, if she wants a pancake, I just take one out of the container, pop it into the toaster over, toast it the same way you would a store bought frozen pancake or waffle, and (wah-lah!) you have a have little girl who got her much wanted pancake and an equally happy mommy who didn't have to pull out the butter, pan/griddle, and mix.

I have been doing this since February when my cousin Belinda gave me the idea of how to store some left over apple cinnamon pancakes I had made.

And that is an easy, tasty recipe.

Make your pancake mix according to the box (probably 1 cup of mix to 3/4 cups of water for 1 batch).

Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/3 cup of applesauce per batch of pancake mix. Mix well.

Cook on a griddle or pan at 375* F or until thoroughly cooked.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I have recently started utilizing my freezer more, and I love it! Since there's only 2 of us now and I'm used to making bigger meals and baking full recipes, it really comes in handy to store extra food/baked goods and then pull them out later for company or something. =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails