Friday, January 31, 2014

The Talk: 7 Lessons to Introduce Your Child to Biblical Sexuality

As parents, the time is inevitably going to come when we will have to sit our children down to have "the talk."  Believe me when I say, I am not looking forward to that day.

However, a worse thought to me is having to sit my children down after they have already been exposed to information given the wrong way by someone other than Brian or myself.

Luke and Trisha Gilkerson, authors of Christ in the Commandments, have just released their newest devotional, The Talk: 7 Lessons to Introduce Your Child to Biblical Sexuality, designed to be used with 6-10 year olds.

The ages this is designed for seems young (I know it did for me), but when you consider what and how much many children these days are exposed to, it makes sense for parents to address this topic first at an earlier age.

In all honesty, Brian and I plan on waiting before sharing this information with Addie. Because she is home-schooled and television viewing is monitored strictly, she is not being exposed to some of the information that other children her age are being exposed to.

The Talk's 7 lessons consist of the following chapters:

1. God Made Them Male and Female (anatomy lesson included)
2. Go Forth and Multiply
3. Wonderfully Made
4. The Two Shall Become One Flesh
5. You Shall Not Commit Adultery
6. Do Not Violate Me
7. Bought With a Price

Each day's lesson not only discusses the topic of the day, but gives a very Biblical perspective on the subject by using Scripture as the basis for the standards being set.

This devotional follows the same pattern as the other devotionals Luke and Trisha have put together (I personally like this lesson layout). Each devotional time consists of:
  • Opening Thought
  • Scripture Reading
  • Talking Points
  • Questions for Your Child
  • Prayer
When the time comes for us to sit down with our kids to have The Talk with them, I am so thankful that I have this resource to fall back on. It takes all of the "what do I say?" questions out of the equation, and, Lord willing, we won't have to worry about forgetting to mention something.

You can get this amazing resource  for $9.95. Just hover over the tab "Developing A Godly Family" and then click on The Talk: 7 Lessons to Introduce Your Child to Biblical Sexuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails