Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Summer

After reading Rebecca Sower's blog (see link below), I was encouraged to look back over the summer so far and see what I have done and enjoyed, but also what I have to look forward to.
  • A trip to Ft. Lauderdale to visit with my mom's side of the family. Always love going down and staying with Titi Ruthie (my aunt- Mom's sister), Uncle Jack, and Cousin Belinda. This time around, my Uncle Luis (Mom's brother) and his family were there also. I just love my family- both immediate and extended. And since Mom's passing, it feels like the extended family have become more immediate. Our family has always been very close to begin with, and in times of need or crisis, they just surround you in love, uphold you in prayer, and just keep you close.
  • Family gatherings at Titi Elsie's house (Dad's sister). Those are always so much fun. Lots of talking and chatter filling the air, no lulls in the conversation, mingling outside of "age groups"- no such thing s a generation gap on either side of my family- kids playing outside, delicious food, wonderful desserts, women in the kitchen catching up on family news, men sitting around the dining room table discussing politics, young moms always "checking" to see what their little ones are up to, and dads sitting in the living room watching a ball game.
  • Working on my yard and turning it into a yard to be proud of. I go to the window often and look out onto my crocus plants and marigolds. I get so happy when I see them. Now I understand why Mom loved gardening. There is just something about getting dirt under your fingernails and getting sweaty in the hot sun that makes a person feel good. When Brian saw how much effort I have put into the yard, he said it inspired him to go out and mow the lawn. Funny how one small act can trigger another.
  • Trying out my green thumb. I'm not sure if I have mentioned this before, but my bean seeds rotted in their little pots. So, I guess, no beans for me. But have I let that discourage me? Absolutely not! My basil plant is still alive and well (and getting plenty of water from the constant rain we have been getting), and yesterday, I went to Wal-mart and picked up the cutest little tomato plant. I put him a place that will receive full sun once the rain clouds go away.
  • Spending lots of time with my sister. Being a teacher certainly has its perks and having the summers off is one of them. Students don't realize that teachers look forward to summer just as much, if not more, than they do. My sister is one of those people who NEEDS a summer. She is such a hard worker during the school year, pouring everything she had into her students and their learning and education, that by the time summer comes she needs a time to just slow down and relax. And me being the proud, big sister, I just have to say that a teacher whose class (and also the other 3rd grade teacher's class at her school) comes in first in the district in the FCATs -a state evaluation test- deserves a relaxing summer. And thanks for always being willing to watch Addie girl when I need a sitter.
  • Still teaching Addie. We go over her devotional and reading books every day. She squeals and gets excited when I pull them out. Yesterday, we heard her say her version of "Amen" after we prayed. Yes, we get excited over every little thing.
  • Dinners with Dad. My dad comes over once a week now since his work schedule is really crazy right now. I find it funny how he always gets down on the floor to play with Addie and how he lets her crawl all over him like a jungle gym. He's a great dad, and I love him very much.

And what I have to look forward to:

  • Fourth of July cookout with our families. One thing that my mom had always wanted was to be able to get along with my in-laws. God answered her request and, until her passing, our families celebrated almost every holiday together. It was nice not feeling pulled in one direction or another. Since my mother went home to be with the Lord, my mom-in-law has continued to invite my dad and sister to holiday get togethers. And another beautiful thing about my parents-in-law is how they have look out for my sister as well. I love you two very much.
  • Our anniversary. On July 10, we will have been married for 5 years. Not only was that the day I got married, but it was also the day I had my first kiss. I look forward to the blessings that God has in store for us over the next 5 years as well.
  • My cousin Belinda- my beautiful cousin, Belinda- is coming up soon to spend a week with us. She loves Addie and seriously spoils her. After spending a week with us, she and my sister will be heading out on their own little journey of adventure.
  • Hoping Addie will start eating regular food. She is eating foods that a little lumpier, but they still come out of a little glass jar. Just explain to me how a child who won't eat Cheerios or Arrowroot cookies has no problem chewing on a coupon, a picture frame, or our end table in the living room!

I hope your summer is humming along beautifully as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails