Saturday, January 16, 2010

Saturday Recipe Swap- Mom's Chicken Soup

This was always one of my favorite soups that my mother made for us. Every time she made, it had a slightly different taste, and you never got the same soup twice. During my pregnancy, I caught whatever was passing through my classroom at the time, so Mom came over and made me a pot of her chicken soup. I don't know why, but I asked her for the recipe, "Just so I have it..." Boy, am I glad I asked!

Mom's Chicken Soup

Ingredients:
  • a stock pot 1/2 filled with water
  • 1 packet Badia Sazon Tropical (found in the cultural section of your grocery store)
  • 2 packets Sazon with Achote (there are a variety of Sazon products- also found in the cultural section)
  • 6 olives
  • 6 skinless chicken drumsticks
  • 2 tbsp Sofrito (also in the cultural section)
  • 1 cup (cooked or uncooked- either way works) rice, lentels, or beans
Directions:
  1. Combine the first 6 ingredients, and bring them to a boil.
  2. Reduce the heat to a medium setting.
  3. After 45 min., add the final ingredient (rice, lentels, or beans) and cook until softened.
This recipe will make quite a bit worth freezing for a later date. After storing, the soup will thicken. Add a cup of water and salt to taste.
Don't forget to check out Kristi's blog for her Saturday recipe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails