Friday, February 19, 2010

Simplicity- Step Seven

For today's simplicity step I am going back to the original post from December 31. In it I discussed a bit of the chapter "The Discipline of Simplicity" from the book A Celebration of Discipline by Richard J. Foster. The point from that post which is really fresh in my mind right now is develop a deeper appreciation for the creation.

Okay, so let's just lay it out here. I do not have a green thumb. I do not like to get hot and sweaty. I can't stand the feel of dirt on me. So now that that is out in the open, here is what struck me about that phrase. Last week, Addie and I went outside to play for a bit (somehow she ended up flat in the dirt and dead grass/weeds, which reminded me of why we don't go outside too often), and we had such a blast. We took a walk up the street to see the small farm behind us, but because of the bitter cold, the animals were in the barn and all we saw were some horses wearing blankets. Our noses were bright red and numb, our cheeks rosey, and we could barely feel our fingers after a few minutes, but there was just something so wonderful about being out in the fresh air, running in the yard, falling in the dirt (as in Addie's case), and enjoying God's creation. They say that God gives you what you need. Well, He gave me a little girl who enjoys the great outdoors, which means that I am going to have to start loving the great outdoors as well.

As I'm sure you have also picked up from reading the blog (my goodness, you guys know a lot about us now that I think about it), my mother was the gardener, but somehow that gene skipped me. Remember that I said I don't like the feel of dirt on me? Mom loved it! She could be found in her yard many times throughout the week weeding, transplanting, rooting her cuttings, and creating new beds. Before she passed, we were going to have a little vegetable garden together. She said, "You never know what may happen. At least we can grow some vegetables for our families." Last year, I tried. I really did. I bought all new plants, weeded the entire garden, extended our flower bed, planted vegetable seeds, and then replanted them in the ground. What do I have to show for it? Nothing! All of the plants that I bought and loved (my crocuses) died in the freezing winter we had down here (Brian decided that we need to move to Florida...oh, wait, we already live in Florida!) and the plants that I really dislike very much (hate!) survived!

So yesterday, Addie Girl and I went to Walmart and picked up a little greenhouse growing tray and some seed packets. I am not going to give up (that is one gene I did get from Mom!), and I am going to retry the garden. I decided to do a mix of fruits, veggies, and flowers. For the fruits and vegetables, I bought lettuce, cucumber, carrot, cantaloupe, pumpkin, and watermelon seeds. For the flowers, I picked up a perennial mix, Sweet William (a really pretty flower), a flower garden mix, and alyssum.

I decided that this year, I am going to try to develop a deeper appreciation for God's creation. I am going to try to spend more time outside with Addie, I am going to try to keep my garden alive this year (however, the cold really wasn't my fault), and I can't wait to enjoy eating the fruits of my labor.

1 comment:

  1. How great! My mom loves to garden too...we tried to grow pumpkins for years...and then one late summer we had four out of no where growing in our yard! Don't give up! It's just like life, sometimes you have to wait a long time for God's blessings to come, but they are so worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails