Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Late Recipe, But.....


I was just so excited I had to tell you! 

Brian has been out of town on business since Wednesday morning.  I can't even begin to tell you how lonely I have been.  Yes, I have Addie, but there is something about knowing every day that your husband is coming home from work.  They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, and how true that is.  I missed my soul mate, confidante, buddy, best friend, love of my life. 

Addie hasn't understood Daddy's absence.  She kept asking over and over again, "Where the Daddy go?"  To which I would reply, "Daddy's working."  Her response was always, "The Daddy working so hard?"  In fact last night she told my mother-in-law, "I miss the Daddy," with the saddest little face ever. 

Thankfully, we have not been alone in the evenings.  Wednesday night was Dad's usual night to come for a visit. Then, my in-laws dropped by on Thursday night, and when they saw that I had given Addie our left over Baked Ziti and I had a bowl of cereal for dinner (really, what is the point of cooking a full meal when the man of the house is away?), they called me on Friday and asked me to join them for dinner and then to visit at their house for a bit. 

Friday night, Addie and I went to sleep in the office on the sofa bed (actually, we did that every night Brian was away) expecting Brian to drive home to us the following day.  Around 12:30 a.m., I suddenly woke up and noticed that I had a text from Brian from 11:30 p.m. saying "Call me".  I didn't want to wake him up if he had fallen back to sleep, so I didn't respond and dozed back to sleep. 

Around 4:30 a.m., I received a phone call from Brian, but, after one ring, he hung up.  Odd, I thought.  I debated whether I should call back or not.  Not to worry, a minute later Brian called back asking me to disarm the house alarm since he was pulling up in front of the house.  Can we say totally thrilled and excited!  I jumped up ran to our alarm pad, disarmed it, and waited for Brian to walk up to the door. 

Apparently, the hotel he had been staying in had a soccer team staying their for the night.  The last straw for Brian was when he heard a crash come from the next room.  He decided that he couldn't sleep anyway, so he might as well drive home.  His coworker also decided to leave and drive home, so they called each other to help each other stay awake during the 5 hour drive home.

This morning, Addie was beside herself when she saw Daddy.  She has been glued to him like a little magnet.
She helped me make Daddy coffee, and she "helped" me make Daddy a special crock pot/slow cooker dinner.  It is fast and easy and absolutely no work at all, but it smells awesome and looks beautiful while it is cooking.

Pork Roast

Ingredients

2 onions
2 potatoes (I used sweet)
2 green peppers
1 small bag of baby carrots
2-3 lb. pork sirloin
Adobo or salt
1 packet of Sazon

Directions

1. Rinse all veggies.  Chop the onions, peppers, and potatoes into large pieces and layer the potatoes, carrots, peppers, and onions in the slow cooker.
2. Rinse pork (something I learned from Mom... always rinse off your meat before cooking). Put ontop of veggies.
3. Sprinkle with Adobo or salt to taste and with the packet of Sazon.
4. Pour 1 cup of water into the slow cooker.
5. Cover and set on low for 6-8 hours or until thoroughly cooked.

I am sitting here with my whole family- Brian and Addie- smelling our dinner cooking.  This is what I call a perfect morning.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more! Having all your loved ones at an arm's reach away is the best feeling!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails