Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Life Lessons from Biblical Characters | Abraham

Read Genesis 18: 1-8

Now, I know that this passage deals with a far greater message than what I am going to bring up today, but this lesson just struck me as something that I need to keep in mind.

Always be prepared for company.

What?  Where did I get that from?

Abraham was sitting in the doorway to his tent when he saw three strangers coming towards him.  His immediate thought was not, "Oh, no! I have nothing to offer these people!  I hope they aren't thirsty or hungry.  I hope they don't stay long because I don't think we have enough to feed them." 

NO! He jumps up, runs to them, and begs them to stay for a meal!

We need to make sure that as wives and/or women of the house that we always have something on hand to serve guests.... impromptu guests!  Not only will we feel good that we were able to serve others at a moment's notice, but we are told later in Hebrews 13:2 "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it." Some, like Abraham!

When I was growing up, my mom always kept an extra plate on the table called the "Elijah plate".  It was there when we ate a meal, because if someone showed up at our door in the middle of a meal, she wanted them to feel welcomed at the table and not feel like they were intruding.  When she cooked, she cooked for an army.  Why? Because she wanted people and guests to feel that they could eat as much as they wanted and that there was always enough for everyone.  I remember growing up that my parents would have some of their Sunday School students drop by and Mom would always pull out a plate of food for them.  Even after Mom passed away, people commented about how she always fed them when they came to her home.  She was notorious for feeding people, even if the they tried telling her they weren't hungry. 

That is the kind of woman I want to be.  I always want to have enough for people when they walk in my door.  I always want to have something available for them to eat when they drop in unannounced (some of the best kinds of visits).  Even just having something as simple as the fixings for a sandwich will go a long way in making guests feel welcomed and wanted.

Here is a little tip.  Publix has a great deal right now on Pepperidge Farm freezer cakes.  They are Buy One Get One Free and there is a coupon in the paper from a couple of weeks ago.  What an easy way to prepare yourself to jump up, run outside to greet an unexpected guest and beg them to stay for something to eat!..... just be sure to pull the cake out of the freezer before you run out the door.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails