Friday, September 30, 2011

A Real Man | A Great Dad

What does it take to be a real man?  Society will tell us that real men look out for number one, love their sports teams, never cry, always put on a brave face, and are always tough. 

They say that real men wear muscle shirts, work out so many hours a day, live in a man cave half of the night, and are domineering to show thier status in their family.

They say that a real man talks like a sailor, acts like a hero, and can hold his liquor.
I beg to differ!

You see, I am privileged to be married to a real man.  His relationship with the Lord comes first, and then the welfare of his family is next on his mind.  He loves his sports teams but is not glued to every game that they play (although, he does request football season because it is only a 16 game season- and I am fine with that). He always tries to be brave for us, but I have seen the look of fear when he thinks I am in trouble in some way.  (During my c-section, he saw some blood and looked like he was going to pass out. Later, when I asked him about "that look" he told me how nervous he was that something might have gone wrong.)

A real man wears t-shirts or polo shirts or a uniform work shirt because he knows his wife thinks his figure is perfect and that's all that matters to him.  A real man doesn't have to work out, but does work hard to keep his family well cared for.  A real man spends his evenings in living room with his family watching Dora the Explorer, Go, Diego, Go, Sesame Street, Blue's Clues, or The Wonder Pets because his 3 year old asks him to.  A real man is a gentle leader to his family.

A real man is careful about what he says to his wife and children, really is hero to his family, and watches the example he sets for his wife and little ones.

Brian, you are a real man! Thank you for taking such good care of me, Addie and Ian during this past week and a half, for not letting me do anything so my recovery could be quick and easy, for all of the extra time you have spent with Addie, and all of the diapers you have changed.  You are a one of a kind man.  I love you dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails