Tuesday, November 22, 2011

By Faith

When I was single, I used to look around me at all of the other girls who were either in a relationship or married and were younger than I was.  I went through many down days because I thought there would never be anyone for me. 

And then I would get a burst of faith, and I would remember that if God could give Abraham a son at the age of 100, then he could bring me a husband at the ripe, old age of twenty-something!

I would then run out to the store and purchase something for either "the one" or our home.  I would have the items for "him" wrapped and they would stay in my closet just waiting for the right time.

One item I bought was a tie that I was going to save for the man I was going to marry.  The day after Brian asked my parents for permission to marry me, I gave him the tie.  He wore it the following Sunday. 

I also bought a stuffed dog holding a Valentine's heart which Brian received on Valentine's Day 2004.

But this week two things really hit me as I was just going about my every day business.

As I dressed Ian on Saturday for the M family Thanksgiving get together, his outfit reminded me of another act of faith.  During one of my down times when my only friends were all married, I had gone to Build-a-Bear and made a rabbit. He had overalls and a red bandana.  And I had made it for my future son.  As I dressed Ian in his overall outfit with a red shirt that Grandma L had given him, I thought of the rabbit.  God had given me the son that I had believed in faith I would one day have.

Then yesterday as I was decorating the tree I put up some cross-stitched ornaments that I had made over thirteen years ago when I still lived in New Jersey.  It was supposed to be a set of alphabet ornaments for my future Christmas tree, but I got a little bored.  I completed the A, B, C, and D, and then I skipped to I and L (Why? I have no idea!).  As I put the ornaments on the tree I realized, that over 13 years ago, I had made the initials of my married last name and  Brian, Addie and Ian's names. (If we had named our son Christopher, he would have had an initial, too!)

The Bible says that without faith it is impossible to please God. Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.  I do not know what you are having faith for in your life right now, or what situations are causing you to have down days because you do not see what it is you are hoping for. Personally we are having faith for God to act in certain circumstances in our lives right now.  It is not always easy to live in an attitude of faith, but when we do, it makes for an exciting journey. 

We also want to wish you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving!  Try giving thanks this year for the answer to a prayer that hasn't actually reached completion yet, knowing that in faith God will answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails