Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lentil Soup

As a child, I never really cared for soup. Oh, maybe Lipton soup, but that was about it. Now, looking back, I don't know why I didn't like soup. It has become one of my favorite meals to make. Here is a recipe that has recently become one of my favorites. The base for this soup was taken from New Cook Book (Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbooks) p. 496. It is called Lentil and Sausage Soup, but I have changed it to suit my taste. My adjustments are italicized beside the original recipe.

Lentil Soup

2 14-ounce cans chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water                          
* because I use chicken bouillon cubes instead of chicken broth for more flavor, I end up using 2 cubes of bouillon with 40 ounces of water*
1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
1 cup sliced celery (2 stalks)
1 cup sliced carrots (2 medium) *Because I usually buy baby carrots, that's what I toss in*
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced *I usually purchase the big jar of minced garlic from Walmart, so I use two heaping tablespoons*
6 ounces cooked, smoked sausage links, quartered lengthwise and sliced *Instead I use precooked, diced ham*

In a large saucepan, combine chicken broth, water, celery, carrots, onion, dried thyme (if using), red pepper, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables and lentils are tender. Stir in fresh thyme if using, and sausage. Heat through.


2 comments:

  1. mmmmmm lentils...just found a bag in my pantry clean out that I didn't know how to use! thx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails