Monday, February 20, 2012

Tell the Next Generation.....

I love being able to hold conversations with Addie. I don't know why, but it just seems to have happened sooner than I expected it to.

On Friday, as she was having breakfast, we were watching a Veggie Tales video where there was a tornado. She started asking me questions about the tornado itself and it reminded me of a time when I was 6 or 7 years old. So I told her about it.

"When Mommy was a little girl...."

"Like me?"

"Yes, like you. We used to live in a house next to Grandma Adelaide."

"She has my name!"

"Yes, she does. (Conversations can take a long time around here.) One day, we saw a tornado up in the sky coming right at our house (it was coming in our general direction)."

"What color was it?"

"I don't remember. Sometimes the sky is greenish and the clouds are black or dark grey. Anyway, Grandma Ana...."

"That's your mommy?"

"Yes, that's my mommy. Grandma Ana got me and Aunt Faye and we ran to Grandma Adelaide's house. Then Grandma Ana said that we needed to pray and ask Jesus to make the tornado go away. We did, and when we looked ouside, the tornado had turned and was going somewhere else."

"Did Jesus say 'Stop!' like in our story from Awana?" (The account of Jesus calming the wind and the waves)

"Yes, He did! He told that tornado to "Go somewhere else!" and the tornado went somewhere else!"

"Wow! That's awesome!"

Yes, Addie, it is awesome! But what I find even more awesome is that I can now share those moments with you and you "get" it.

It brought to mind Psalm 78:4. "We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, His power, and the wonders He has done."

Whether you are a parent, grandparent, or caregiver, tell your children, grandchildren, and children in your care of the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord. It will not only open their eyes and hearts to the fact that God is not "stuck" in the pages Bible, but it will give them the faith they need to call on Him during their times of need.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails