Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My "I Love Lucy" Moment

Yesterday, Brian was away overnight finishing up a job that he had worked at Thursday through Saturday this past week. This time, he was going to be working alone instead of with his coworker, so on Monday he asked me to put the music from several of his favorite CDs (Casting Crowns, Mercy Me, Third Day, Mark Schultz) on his MP3 player so he would have something to listen to.

We haven't used the MP3 player in a while, but I knew where it was.  The junk drawer.... which in reality is not an accurate name for it since it is really a "catch all" drawer. Seriously, who keeps junk? And who keeps it in a drawer?

I opened the drawer an decided that right then was as good a time as any to clean it out. Besides, when you're looking for something, it is usually on the bottom in the back, right?

As I expeced, I found the MP3 player on the bottom in the back of the drawer and began putting a few things back into the drawer.

Suddenly, I heard the garage door open.

"Is Brian home already? He never called to give me his ETA," I thought.

I opened the laundry room door into the garage and peeked in. The garage door was wide open, but no one was there! Kind of creepy!

I began thinking of how someone could have figured out our code... how someone could have already sneaked into the garage and could be hiding behind our vehicle.... what was the fastest way for me to get my children to safety....

Something brushed up against my leg, and I gasped and jumped. Addie looked up at me and asked, "Is Daddy home?" I was so focused on the garage and my thoughts, I never heard her come up behind me.

"No, Mama," I said as I shut the garage door, closed the laundry room door and locked it, and turned the house alarm on to "no entry delay."

Then I began downloading the music for Brian. A few minutes later, he called to let me know he was on his way home.

"You know, the  garage door opened earlier. I thought you had gotten home. It was really weird," I told him.

"Really? That is weird. I don't even have a garage door opener in my van-"

"Oh, guess what! I found the other garage door opener (which Faye had kept in her vehicle when she lived with us) in the junk drawer when I was cleaning it out."

"Um, did the garage door open when you were cleaning out the junk drawer?"

"Yeah, but-"

And then it dawned on me.

I had opened the garage door!

We both laughed and Brian said, "Baby, that was an "I Love Lucy" moment!"

Even though we had figured out how the garage door opened, I never disarmed the alarm. When Brian arrived home, I was in the middle of bathing Addie. He opened the door and the alarm immediately went off.

A perfect ending to our "Lucy" moment!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails