Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Our List | Advent Countdown

Last year I read about wrapping 24 books and then having your child(ren) unwrap one each night until Christmas, so we did just that with the exception that I also wrapped up Christmas movies. We really enjoyed it so much that we are doing it again this year...... with a slight difference.

I love planning things for my family, but when I share my ideas with Brian, he always has something wonderful to add that makes my plans that much more special. Instead of having a basket with the gifts inside, he suggested using Addie's new-found skill of reading to create a scavenger hunt for her. (Isn't he brilliant!)

I came up with a list of simple instructions using words that follow the phonics rules she knows and cut them into strips. In the morning, we hand her one slip which leads her to another, which leads to another, which leads to her "gift". Then she gets to open her movie or book and we enjoy it before breakfast (movies go into breakfast).

Next year, I think Ian will be able to participate a bit more, so I will have a special marking on the gifts which are meant for him to open- simpler stories and movies for him.

This year, I thought I would share with you the movies, books and CDs that we will be watching, reading, and listening to this December. I have also borrowed several Christmas books from the library that we were finally able to enjoy also (Brian has this strict "No Christmas before Thanksgiving" rule).
 
*Disclaimer- I have linked all of these titles to Amazon. If you click on the title and then choose to purchase through Amazon from that link, I will receive a credit for your purchase. You can also click on any of the titles in the slide show box on the right hand side of the screen. Just thought I should let you know :)*

My list is not written in any particular order.

Movies:
  1. DaySpring Really Woolly: The Gift of Christmas
  2. It's A Wonderful Life (Brian's favorite)
  3. Veggie Tales: The Star of Christmas
  4. Veggie Tales: The Little Drummer Boy
  5. The Nativity Story
  6. Hermie & Friends: A Fruitcake Christmas
  7. The Legend of the Candy Cane
  8. Kipper: Let It Snow!
  9. Buster & Chauncey's Silent Night
  10. Veggie Tales: Saint Nicholas
  11. Thomas & Friends: Ultimate Christmas
  12. Leap Frog: A Tad of Christmas Cheer

Books:
  1. Red Boots for Christmas adapted by Carol Greene
  2. Thomas and Friends: Sing-a-long Christmas Songs
  3. B is for Bethlehem: A Christmas Alphabet by Isabel Wilner
  4. The Christmas Story: A Read & Sing-along Story by Kim Mitzo Thompson & Karen Mitzo Hilderbrand (CD included)
  5. The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski
  6. The Quiet Little Woman by Louisa May Alcott
  7. The Snowman Band of Snowboggle Bend by Cheryl Hawkinson (Hallmark)
  8. Jacob's Gift by Max Lucado
  9. Alabaster's Song: Christmas throught the Eyes of an Angel by Max Lucado
CDs:
  1. Casting Crowns: Peace On Earth
  2. Sounds of the Season: Volume 5 Disc Three
  3. Steven Curtis Chapman: All I Really Want For Christmas
  4. Point of Grace: A Christmas Story
  5. Music Box Christmas
  6. Michael W. Smith: Christmastime
  7. Mercy Me: The Christmas Sessions
  8. Veggie Tales: A Very Veggie Christmas
  9. MP3 Download: Veggie Tales: The Incredible Singing Christmas Tree
What are you reading, watching, or listening to with your family this Christmas season?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails