Monday, January 6, 2014

Archives | Our First Dance

Ecclesiastes 3:1, 4b- There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven- ...A time to mourn and a time to dance.
Do you have a photo that means a lot to you because it tells a very important part of your story? A photo that candidly captures a significant moment that you shared with your spouse and the photographer never knew how precious the photo would be? 

We do.

It is a photo of  Brian and me having our "first dance" at a friend's wedding.

The moment was so special to us because we had not gotten to have a first dance at our wedding. It was the only regret I have of our otherwise perfect day.

Because my father was a staff member at our church, the pastor did not think it would be appropriate for us to have any type of dancing at our reception, which was being held at an off site location.

In honor of his request, we did not dance at our reception, but I had always felt "cheated" out of that special moment with my husband and then my father (father/daughter dance).

In March of 2009, our friends Allison and Bruce were married, and Brian and I decided ahead of time that we would have our "first dance" at their reception.

I can't tell you how giddy I felt and how badly I wanted the meal to be over with so I could dance with my husband. When the couples dance came up, Brian and I went to the floor, and it was everything I dreamed it would be.

The photographer took an candid shot of us, and the couple sent it to us with their thank you card (they found out that it was "our first dance" and the bride mentioned that in her card, which I still have).

I love the moment that this picture captures.

It shows us just enjoying each others company.

So many times we flippantly say that God is a God of second chances, but we do not always realize that those chances are not only in fixing a past wrong in our lives, but they also include giving us a second shot at enjoying a missed moment.  

Lord, I will always be thankful for the second chance to have our first dance. 

You can find the original post from 2009 here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails