Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What I Learned From My Daughter's Child-Like Faith

Yesterday the weather was perfect. The air was cool but not cold. The sky was clear. Both kids had taken good naps.  I decided that we would go outside for a while before Daddy came home from work.

First they played with the whiffle ball and t-ball sets.

Then the bubbles came out.

I don't know how long we played with the bubbles, but it was during that time that I learned a beautiful lesson from my daughter.

She aimed her little bubble making contraption up to the sky and said, "Fly away, bubbles! Make Jesus happy!"

There were so many thoughts that went through my head simultaneously. But all I did was smile.

I was overwhelmed that Addie had found a way to worship God during her outside playtime.

Isn't worship a way for us to bring joy to our Savior? As I saw the sincerity of her heart, I know that her act of worship was far more pleasing to God than when I sing along in worship and wonder if my voice sounds okay, when I am too self-conscious to raise my hands when I feel the desire to do so, and when I wipe away a tear because I don't want anyone to see it.

I was overwhelmed by the love she had for Jesus in the middle of her playtime with Brother. 

Isn't that what we want? For our children to think about their Savior throughout their day. When they are playing, eating, at school, resting, doing whatever they find fun..... we want them to think of Him and to include Him in every moment of their lives. Not just the "churchy" or "pious" moments. Every moment.


I was overwhelmed by the beauty of her heart that wanted to share with Jesus the very thing that she was enjoying at that moment.

Children do not have very much. At. All. But they are so willing to share whatever they do have. Bubbles are here for a moment and then gone. Addie wanted her bubbles to fly away to Jesus to make Him happy. She didn't care that she wouldn't see them again. Ever. She wanted Jesus to be happy.

I think He was.

I was overwhelmed with the feeling to keep quiet.

As parents, we often feel the need to step in and correct a "wrong" idea. We know as adults that bubbles will not fly up to heaven, and that it takes more than bubbles to make Jesus happy.

Or does it?

Matthew 18:2-5 says, "And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
and said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me."
Wow! 
He would rather have my daughter's simple bubbles than my elaborate prayers with huge, long words that make me sound smarter than I am.

He would rather have my daughter's thoughtful consideration of what would make him happy than my desire to follow a list of do's and don'ts to please Him.

He would rather have her humble gift of bubbles than my "good works" done with wrong intentions.

Verses 6 and 7 continue "But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!
We do not always have to be "the adult" and point out the "folly" of our children's child-like moments. By doing that we can crush their hearts, wound their spirits, and push them away from the God we are trying to teach them to worship the "right" way. 

Maybe we should take the time to remember what it was like to love God when we were children.... before we cared what others thought.

I think today, I may go outside and blow bubbles with my kids.

And I hope mine will reach Heaven....

......and make Jesus happy.


I've linked up at Women of Worship, The Life of Faith,

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails