Thursday, March 13, 2014

Archives | Mom's Chicken Soup

The original post can be found here.

I love having recipes on hand that I can pull out when my schedule has thrown a curve ball at me, and I can still have a good healthful meal for my family. This is one of those recipes.

This was always one of my favorite soups that my mother made for us. Every time she made it, it had a slightly different taste, and you never got the same soup twice because she just used what she had on hand. She would also try a different combination of spices and seasonings (again based on what she had on hand).

What I love the most about this recipe is that it lends itself to customization and tweaks very easily. If you make your own chicken broth or stock (which I do once I have enough bones collected in my freezer), use that as the base for your soup instead of water. I love throwing carrots, celery, and corn in my soup to make it "stretch farther" as my mom would have said (there was a Spanish phrase she used that I can hear in my head, but I cannot for the life of me spell out!).

During my pregnancy of Addie, I caught whatever bug was passing through my classroom at the time, so Mom came over and made me a pot of her chicken soup. I don't know why, but I asked her for the recipe, "Just so I have it..." Boy, am I glad I asked!

Mom's Chicken Soup

Ingredients:
  • a stock pot 1/2 filled with water
  • 1 packet Badia Sazon Tropical (found in the cultural section of your grocery store)
  • 2 packets Sazon with Achote (there are a variety of Sazon products- also found in the cultural section)
  • 6 olives
  • Adoboe (also in the cultural section- a salty flavoring. Season to taste)
  • 6 skinless chicken drumsticks (you can use any type of chicken/turkey you prefer or have on hand)
  • 2 tbsp Sofrito (also in the cultural section)
  • 1 cup (cooked or uncooked- either way works) rice, lentels, or beans
Directions:
  1. Combine the first 6 ingredients, and bring them to a boil.
  2. Reduce the heat to a medium setting.
  3. After 45 min., add the final ingredient (rice, lentels, or beans) and cook until softened.
This recipe will make quite a bit worth freezing for a later date.

After storing, the soup will thicken. Add a cup of water when reheating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails