Thursday, September 10, 2009

...Kind...

"...kind..." My mother used to tell me, "Kindness is always in style." And how true that is. A kind word here, a kind look there can do so much more than we could ever think. How easy is it to be run down after a day of cleaning, laundry, cooking, diapers, feedings, and whatever else comes up to say an unkind word about one item being left out of place by a husband or child. Or maybe by the tone of our voice, we make our husband feel like our job in the home is more important or harder than the job he has which may be the only paying job in the household (as in the case with us). It is so easy to come across as a little frazzled and short with those in our home when we have had very little sleep because of a sick baby or child, have had to run errands with small children in tow, or feel the frustration of doing a job that is never done, but how careful we are not to treat outsiders that way. Isn't it even more important to show kindness to those who are around us always, who see the real us at all times? No, by showing kindness to our families behind closed doors we won't get the praise of others, but we will leave a lasting impact on our families.

Believe me, I understand the frazzled tiredness that comes with a lack of sleep and not getting the normal chores and goals accomplished. I have had a sick baby who has not slept well for the past three nights and has only napped if I was holding her (there went my deep cleaning time). However, I am learning every day that regardless of the kind of day that I have had, my husband still needs kindness from me. It also helps when I remember that one of the first things that attracted Brian to me (according to him) was that I was kind to him before we ever dated.

Don't even think unkind words or mutter them as you go about your daily chores (very hard to do, I know). What you think and mutter will come out eventually and feel like a poisonous sludge on whoever your words fall upon. You thoughts will also come out in your attitude. If your thoughts have been argumentative towards a certain person, then you will have an argumentative attitude towards those you come in contact with during your day, and kindness will fly out the window.

This my goal for the next week, really thinking about the words I use before I allow them to come out and deciding if the words I am about to use are kind or unkind. Even when something unpleasant needs to be said, there is always a way to say it in kindness. It will not always be easy, but that is what makes this kind of challenge so rewarding in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails