Sunday, December 20, 2009

God Can...

Recently Brian heard a song on the Christian radio by 10th Avenue North. Something about the song didn't sit right with him. He couldn't explain it, but sometimes you just can't explain God's prompting, you just know something is right or wrong. Brian called me up and asked me to YouTube it to see what I thought. I agreed. There was something about the song that I just didn't care for. I couldn't decide if it was the way the singer was asking God how long he needed to wait on God for an answer to his request, the way he described himself as one of millions and questioned if God even noticed him, or wondered if God even saw his tears through the rain of tears from all of the others in humanity. (Eventually towards the end of the song he resolves the issue in two lines that I can't even remember because the rest of the song made such a negative impact on me.)

While we were driving home from South Florida, the song came on the radio again, and it hit me why I my spirit was disturbed by the song. The last line of the chorus said, "If you're really who You say You are, come close and hold my heart." The radio was instantly turned off (regardless of what people say, music does have an influence on our minds, thinking, and spirit, and I want to make sure that I only expose Addie to edifying music), and I called Brian who was driving his work van ahead of me.

You see, before Jesus went into the wilderness to fast for 40 days, He was baptised by John and God spoke out of Heaven to declare that This was His beloved Son in Whom He was well pleased. After His 40 days of fasting, Satan came to tempt Jesus. Now this is where the song disturbs me. Satan questioned who Jesus was during the first two temptations by saying, "If you really are the Son of God, then..." and implied that Jesus had to prove Himself. Hadn't God Almighty already declared from Heaven Who Jesus was.

When I heard that line in the song, it reminded me of this account. The lyrics were questioning who God was and wanted Him to prove Himself to them. God is under no requirement to prove anything to us. Yes, there are times when we as believers doubt ( John the Baptist, Jesus' own cousin did Matthew 11:3) when we struggle, especially through difficult times, but who are we to question God and His reasons. He is God. To question that God is Who He says He is does not cause others to be drawn to Him, but rather brings confusion if those who claim to have a personal relationship with Him are not even sure that He is who He claims to be. It is so important to remember that...

God can heal the sick...
...but sometimes He chooses not to.
God can raise the dead...
...but sometimes He chooses not to.
God can part the waters...
...but sometimes He chooses not to.
God can stop the raging storm...
...but sometimes He chooses not to.
God always answers our prayers...
...but sometimes it isn't the answer we wanted.

Lord, I believe that you are everything You say You are. Your ways are higher than ours, and Your thoughts are higher than ours. Forgive me for the times I have tried to "figure you out". Even though you became Man and dwelt among us, You are still 100% God. Thank you for being who You are.
*************************************
Enjoy this version of Silent Night by Susan Boyle.

2 comments:

  1. absolutely true :) His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard this song, I see what you are saying..wow it puts a whole new prespective on that song. So true

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails