Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day

I went into Mother's Day with a plan. Brian had left the events of the day up to me, and I knew what I wanted to do. We were going to go to church, come home, give Addie a nap, pick up subs, go to the local beach, visit Titi Elsie, and have a great time as family.



Brian gave me the morning off. It was very strange for me to sit back on a Sunday morning and only get myself ready. He made me coffee and got breakfast for me and Addie. He gave Addie her bath and dressed her. Then he got himself ready. On our way to church, he mentioned how how tired he already was, and I smiled to myself. He is such a sweetheart.



During the Sunday service, God changed my heart and our plans for the day. We decided to accept an invitation from my brother-in-law and sister-in-law for a lunch barbeque. Because we arrived before all of the other guests (my in-laws and my sister-in-law's parents, brother, and sister), we had a chance to spend time with them just chatting and catching up and playing with my adorable nephew, who is exactly 361 days younger than Addie.



Maybe you moms of more than one can tell me how it happens that your love grows with each child you have. As I held my beautiful nephew, my heart broke for Addie that I wasn't holding her (in fact, I'm tearing up as I type this). She was completely fine with it and was running around trying to catch the cat, but I kept trying to talk and play with her while holding him.



Two cousins watching Toy Story. Eventually they both fell asleep, and all of the adults continued watching it. Funny how that happens.


Brian (isn't he the cutest!) and his brother, each with their little one.



After our time with them, we went back home to catch up with Faye and then we all headed out to visit Mom's grave site. Faye picked up some beautiful flowers and arranged them with some of the flowers that someone had already put there. There were also three carnations already in place which we later found out were from Dad's visit earlier in the day.



Do you like my dress? I made it! Brian has been telling me that he would love to see me in a sundress, so I went out, got the material, and made it. I kept it on all day just because.








Each visit we make to the grave site is a way for us to measure Addie's growth. Our first visit to Mom's grave, three Mother's Days ago, Addie was only two and a half months old and had slept through the night for the first time. Last year, Addie was getting comfortable with the idea of walking on her own two feet. This year, we were following behind Addie making sure she wasn't grabbing the "pwee fwowahs" (pretty flowers) from the other headstones. Ummm, yeah, Brian is holding my sunglasses for me on his head:)








Mom, you will forever be remembered on Mother's Day. Even though you are no longer here physically, you will always be my mother.


We then went to Titi Elsie's house to spend some time with her and Uncle Johnny. Titi Elsie's house is so cozy and welcoming. We shared a cherry pie and pink lemonade. I love that I can totally be myself, share my thoughts, feelings, and dreams, and ask her for godly council. Addie loves her "Lala" and Uncle Johnny and gets excited when she sees the house as we pull up. She doesn't like having to say goodbye at the end of our visits. As we were walking out the door, my cousin- Titi's Elsie's daughter- and her family came walking in.

We arrived home to find my dad and Faye waiting for us. He, of course, had brought Addie another Elmo toy/gadget (that little guy is literally taking over my house!) which she spent the rest of the evening with, and I was given a gift card to Ruby Tuesday's (date night!). We watched the final episode of the Amazing Race (totally disappointed that my favorite team- the cowboys- didn't win) and River Monsters from Animal Planet (that will give you nightmares!) before Dad decided that it was time to leave. Brian and I continued our evening with two episodes of Little House on the Prairie before calling it a night (had to undo the scary-fish-living-in-Florida-rivers thoughts before going to sleep).

This had to be the best Mother's Day I have ever had. It was completely different than I had originally planned it to be, but that is actually totally okay with me (GrandTiti, I'm improving!). Maybe next year, I will get to spend the day with only Brian and Addie, but if God has other plans for my day, I am willing to change course and go in the direction He wants. His plans are always better than mine.
***********************************
If you enjoy giveaways, be sure to check out Kristen's blog over at Windy Poplars.

3 comments:

  1. Suzette, you looked sooooooooooooo beautiful! I loved your dress. I loved the pictures of you guys as a family too! You and little Addie matched! Happy Mother's Day to my mommy hero!
    P.S. On the drive to Debi's house as I was having contractions and knowing it would be Mark's big day of arrival, I cried the whole way there thinking I could never love this new baby more than my Julia, but guess what, the minute you have the baby, it just comes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kristi! I'm sure when Baby #2 comes along, I'll be calling you for what-do-I-do-with-two? advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this blog..ok so i say it to all of your blogs. :) The pics were so beautiful and the ones of you and Brian are great..it is so sweet to see the love that you two have for each other.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails