Thursday, March 24, 2011

Book Club Thursday | Mama Made the Difference

Mamas Teach Us That Education Is Everywhere


"This will be part of your schooling."  Oh, how I hated that phrase growing up.  As a homeschooled student, Mom tied everything we did into some kind of education for us.  Learning to bake bread from a fellow church member was home economics.  Taking piano lessons was considered music class.  Participating in "gym time" in youth group was counted as P.E.  Everything we did somehow became a part of our education.

What I didn't realize then was that my mother was teaching me that education was everywhere.

Now as an adult, I am always on the lookout for ways to educate myself.  Spiritually, I read God's Word and other books by Christian authors to help my spirit grow.  I am always scouring magazines to show me what is new in design and fashion so that my home and person can always be modestly in style.  I love learning about new and improved was to scrapbook our memories, and I am always on the look out for great recipes. 

Truly, education is all around you.  It never ends. Oh, of course, your formal schooling does have its milestones and points of completion (those are called "graduations"), but learning is constant and continual.  Treat every place you go and every person you meet as a learning experience and treat every child you meet as a teaching opportunity.  For you, and for those who are watching you, education is everywhere.

You can always tell when someone has decided that they have stopped learning.  They seem to be critical of change and do not want to make any effort in changing anything in their own lives.  We need to view everything as an opportunity to learn to keep ourselves from becoming narrow-minded and without vision.

Continue learning.  Never stop.  And teach your children to love learning, not just in the academic classroom but in the classroom of life itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails