Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Life Lessons.....

In all honesty, I spent my blogging time yesterday with Fox News Channel on, just watching and listening to the events that unfolded on Sunday night. I had a really hard time focusing on the passage I planned on writing on... I'm sure you understand.

September 11, 2001 was one of those days that every one remembers exactly where they were when they heard the news.

I was just lining up my students to bring them out of the classroom to take them to recess when one of our teachers came to my classroom and told me that we were under attack.

"What parent is upset with the school now?" was my response.

"No, a plane flew into the Twin Towers."

I was trying to make sense of what my teacher friend had said, trying to lead my students down the stairs, and trying to keep them in line.  I turned back to look at my students.... and promptly fell down the first flight of stairs, hitting the wall of the landing, and twisting my ankle.

Still in my mind, I could not grasp what was happening until I went to the office during my break. They had a television, with very bad reception, on.  At that point, only one tower was standing.

"What happened to the other tower?!" I asked.

One teacher there just shrugged and said, "It fell."

What! Towers don't just fall! It was then that I heard on the news everything that had happened that morning- the four planes that had been hijacked, the thousands of people that died senselessly, the brave passengers that had taken down one plane to avoid the loss of even more life.

Our principal, the pastor, and their wives were in Washington D.C. at the time of the attacks for a Christian school leaders conference.  The plane that flew into the Pentagon flew right over the hotel that they were staying in.  The Pastor and Principal were at the White House itself at the time, but their wives were in the hotel and felt the building shake as the plane flew over them.  Naturally, all of us back home, several hundred miles away, were concerned about these two leaders of our church and school. Thankfully, all four of them were safe and sound and drove back home (all airline flights had been understandably cancelled).

My father had taken us once, many years ago, to the observation deck of one of the towers.  It was both awesome and scary standing there and looking down, and in our finite minds, these towers seemed immovable.

Proverbs 18:10 says, "The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous runneth into it and are safe." He is the one tower that we never have to fear to run to during times of uncertainty.  He will never fall.

And as my pastor posted on Facebook this morning, "Proverbs 21:15 says, 'When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers." I pray that you are experiencing joy today.

May God bless America!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for acknowledging that any joy in this terrible situation is from the sense of justice and not from the death of a man God loved and dies for. It seems in their celebration some people have forgotten that we are all loved by God and he is grieved by the loss of each person who dies without knowing Him. "As surely as I live, declares the LORD, I take no joy in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live." Ezekiel 33:11
    Blessings to you today x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails