Saturday, December 31, 2011

My Word: Family

For the last few years, I have not made resolutions for the New Year. I have chosen a word to really focus on throughout the year. I find this to be better for me than keeping resolutions which are so easily forgotten once February rolls around.


This year my word is FAMILY.

Now, yes, my family is very much why I do what I do- I am a stay-at-home wife and mother, I scrapbook to record our family's memories, I teach my children, and I gladly wake up in the middle of the night for feedings or to get someone a glass of water or to be the resident nurse.

But....

In this age of technology it is so easy to become distracted. It is so easy to spend more time on the phone than I intended to. It is so easy to "check one little thing" on the computer and realize 15 minutes later that I spent more time there than I should have.


We saw the movie "Courageous", and I was convicted. There are times when Addie wants me to play with her in her room, dance with her, make a craft with her, or just hang out. And then how many times have I said, "In a minute, Sweetheart. Mommy needs to clean/ fold laundry/ feed Ian/ hold Ian because he's fussy." The list goes on.

It hit me. I do not stay home full time so I can clean. I stay home so I can be fully involved in my children's lives. I stay home to be there for them when they need me and want me. I have been given a great gift. The opportunity to be the greatest influence in my children's lives, and I have a wonderful husband who is willing to work hard in order to make that happen.

And speaking of my wonderful husband, I have to make sure that I am the wife to him that God wants me to be. I need to make sure that my relationship with the Lord is so on target that as Brian and I both grow closer to Him we will also be growing closer to each other. I need to keep my heart in constant prayer so that God makes me aware of the needs that Brian has so that I can meet those needs before he has a chance to tell me there is a need. 


FAMILY- Brian, Addie, Ian, and me. Lord willing, this is my focus this year and making sure that I make the most of the gift God has given me. Because they truly are a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails