Friday, March 2, 2012

Addie's Birthday Pictures and Some Addie-isms

Addie is definitely her own person. And, where I can tend to sit back, smile, and swallow what people say, she won't. In fact, she has begun saying, "Are you sure?" when someone says anything in conversation with her that she has the slightest doubt about.

Yesterday, it happened again while we were talking and I told her that by saying that she was implying that the person talking didn't know what they were talking about.

"Oh! Can I say 'positive' instead of 'sure'?"

I'm not sure she got my message.

*******************************
As her birthday approached, we began practicing her response to her guests as they arrived. I told her that she was not to pay attention to the gift in their hands. She was to greet them by saying, "Come on in! I'm so glad you're here!" (Focusing on the person and not what they brought)

If anyone said, "I have a gift for you!" she was to say, "Thank you! I'll put it on the table for later!"

One set of cousins had sent her a present in the mail, but were going to come to the "party," too. I thought I should also prep Addie for their arrival since I was not expecting them to bring an additional gift (which they generously did anyway).

"If someone comes to the house and they don't have a gift, are you going to say, 'Where's my gift?'"

"I might."

"Oh, no!" I was horrified! "You still say "Come on in! I'm so glad you're here! Now what will you say?"

"Come on in. I'm so glad you're here," she said in the most flat and depressed sounding voice my overly in-love-with-life 4 year old has.

Thankfully, our practice paid off, and she was a most gracious little birthday girl.

**********************************
Below are the photos that my father took of the birthday gathering. We really had a wonderful time. And as I told my dad, his camera makes me a better hostess since I can focus on my guests rather than trying to take pictures for our family scrapbooks.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Slideshow design generated with Smilebox

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails