Friday, April 13, 2012

Dental Appointments and Dr. Leman


Addie had her first dental visit yesterday. We really liked the office we went to. The staff was absolutely wonderful with children, and their treatment of us from the moment we walked in helped me make a very important decision as the visit continued.

When our name was called, we went back and Addie began the shy game. Hiding behind me, covering her mouth, and not doing her best to cooperate. I had already read on the information paperwork that this office was not opposed to parents leaving their children in the exam room with the dental staff, so I decided that I would remove Addie's audience to "perform" her shy game for (me). I picked her up, sat her in the chair, and walked out with Bud.

My heart broke because I have never just left her like that before, but I knew it had to be done. I also remembered Dr. Leman's advice about removing "the audience" so that behavior would change quickly.

A few minutes later, one of the dental assistants came into the waiting room to let me know that Addie was fine and doing a fantastic job and that our dental assistant was getting the cleaning done.  Fifteen minutes later, Addie came out with a goodie bag and a huge smile!

We both survived her first dental visit. No one was worse for the wear. And Bud just wondered what all the fuss was about.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails