Friday, February 28, 2014

Real Life Love Stories | Ours from Brian's Perspective

As we wrap up our Real Life Love Stories for this year (I think this is a series I will be bringing back yearly- so beware.... you may be asked to participate next year!), I decided it was time to comply with the emails, FB messages, and texts I received asking when you would read our Real Life Love Story.

But I thought I would do things a bit differently.

You have heard our story from my perspective many times..... our engagement, our wedding, and many moments in between.

And even though Brian has spontaneously shared his thoughts and feelings about us, I thought it would be fun to get his perspective on different aspects of our love story.

Here he is in his own words.....




When did you first notice Suzette?

The first time I saw you I noticed you. You were in the choir wearing that blue choir robe and your hair was curly (I had a spiral perm at the time).

When did you first notice Brian?

I knew you from Sunday school, and just knew you as Brian, my friend, the one guy I was comfortable with. It wasn't until 5 years later that I realized I looked forward to you walking into our Sunday school class, and started making sure the seat next to me was available for you to sit in .... if you wanted to.

When did you decide to date me?

I had thought about for a while but assumed you were out of reach. I actually decided to ask you when our pastor called me and gave me the push I needed.

I was constantly getting clues from people that I should pursue you- my Grandma and brother Ricky were always encouraging me to pursue you. But I had a crush on you long before anyone encouraged me to date you.

I mentioned it to a few of my friends from church while hanging out at my house one day, a year before we started dating. I was told that I had to talk to your dad first (which I already knew), and that your dad would have to come on our first date with us, and sit between us. I told them that I didn't mind because I really liked your dad a lot. (Suzette here: My dad and I didn't even know about the "rule" that my dad had to come with us. You have got to "love" rumors....)

Did you have to do anything special before you could take me on a first date?

I had to talk to your Dad. (2nd hardest thing I ever had to do. 1st hardest was actually asking you if you would want to go out with me.) I was nervous and anxious the whole time we talked, and I answered all of his questions honestly. I thought he would turn me down because our talk took an hour.

When did you ask my parents for permission to marry me?

You were at an overnight teacher's convention. I went to your parent's home for dinner and asked them for permission. They both gave their approval. We then headed to the Bill Gothard Seminar we were attending that week, and the whole drive there we brainstormed different ideas of how I could propose. (Fire drill was totally Brian's idea, though.)


Suzette's side from that night...

You always called me on your way home from work, but that day you were really quiet on the phone- totally unlike you. I asked if you were okay, and you, never being able to keep anything from me, told me you were going to ask my parents for permission marry me that night.

From that point on I was useless!

Faye and I went to dinner alone (the other teachers had already gone, which was a blessing). When we got back to the hotel, I had to wait to call my parents because you all had gone to the seminar. I finally called home at 10:30 p.m. and after playing phone tag a few times, Mom finally answered. I asked how everything had gone that night and Mom said, "Oh, it was nice!"

"How was Brian?" I asked.

"Oh, he was wonderful. You father and I just love him!"

"Did he say anything?"

"Oh..... that he loves you and that our house wasn't the same with you away tonight."

"Mom! Did he ask if he could marry me?!"

From the background I heard my father chuckling, and then he shouted, "Tell her we said yes!" at which point I burst into tears! I wanted to run out into the hallway of the hotel and yell, "He asked and they said yes!" But I didn't.

How long did you date, and how long have you been married?

We dated for exactly one year. Our first date was Friday, July 11, 2003, and we were married Saturday, July 10, 2004. We will be celebrating 10 years of married life this July.

What has been you favorite part of married life?

Everything. Being able to live with my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails